Our Mission:

To glorify God in response to His grace by making disciples of Jesus Christ.

Friday, April 30, 2010

Book review: Cross-Examined

During my days as an A-Level student, I grappled often with my faith. What was being a Christian all about, really? This was further exacerbated by a belligerent friend, a self-described “skeptical Christian” (although I think he was more skeptical than Christian!) who kept hounding me with the question: “Why did Jesus have to die on the cross?” So one Saturday, with nothing better to do, I ended up in a tiny, nondescript Christian bookshop. As I browsed aimlessly, one title caught my eye. The blurb won me over, promising a better understanding of the cross, and I parted with some cash.

Looking back, this was probably all in God's providence. Because years later, I still have that book on my bookshelf, and I still think it's the best introductory book on the cross available today. More importantly, it strengthened my faith. That book is, of course, the book presently under review: Cross-Examined.

Mark Meynell is currently the Senior Associate Minister at All Souls Church, London, having previously served in Uganda. In this book, he explores afresh the meaning and significance of the death of Jesus. For at the cross “we find both God's answer to a suffering world and our own answerability to God”.

This book is divided into four parts. The first part communicates the shock of God on the cross in vivid terms. Meynell then moves on to explaining the reality of sin: its pervasiveness, mastery and consequences under the headings “United Nations”, “Fatal Addiction” and “Divine Justice”. Part 3 reveals God's gracious salvation plan to send Jesus. Meynell draws our attention to the wealth of biblical imagery concerning salvation. Salvation is like a diamond, multi-faceted in nature. When we encounter words such as justification, redemption, reconciliation, cleansing and triumph, we understand a little more what Paul means when he refers to “the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you” (Col. 1:27)! Finally, he brings it all home, relating the cross and resurrection to our experience as Christians. Are we ready to live cross-shaped lives as we follow Christ? Will we recognise Him as the One to whom one day every knee shall bow?

What makes this book especially valuable is how readable and accessible it is. Meynell is a gifted writer, and frequently weaves in striking illustrations, thought-provoking quotes and useful analogies in making his points. It's simply a pleasure to read, something that cannot always be said of Christian books! The structure of the book is another strength. Meynell takes us through the big story of the Bible in a way that is clearly linked, and his emphasis on getting us to read specific Bible passages is helpful. The summaries at the end of each chapter are a great way to review and reflect on what's just been said. The centrality of penal substitution is strongly affirmed, but in a way that doesn't completely overwhelm other metaphors of salvation employed in the Bible.

I was sad to hear recently that this book is now out of print [update 25/5/10: it's back in print!], which indicates to me that the book isn't as well-known or highly rated as it deserves to be. If you ever do stumble across a copy, I recommend you snap it up. It helped open my eyes to the grandeur of God's amazing grace, and I trust it will do the same for you.

Note: This book is in the SMACC Library

Brian K

No comments: